Senior Commissioning Engineer
Renew Consultancy was appointed to identify a Senior CHP Commissioning Engineer to carry out a newly created role within the growing solutions focus business.
This was a key hire for a small business. The Client required a technical specialist combined with a leader who owns engineering and management skills. They would be required to carry out the Commissioning activities and provide management for the Service and maintenance team.
The Senior Commissioning Engineer would also provide Project Management oversight to future generation installations. This included CHPs and Gensets and will expand to include Solar and EV Charger technologies.
Key Candidate Attributes
- Vast experience as a CHP Commissioning Engineer or similar Generator set experience.
- Hands-on knowledge of Gas engine CHPs and Gensets, including Synchronous and Asynchronous.
- Strong practical knowledge of CHP heating systems, including pumps, inverter drives, Low loss headers, flow rates, and boiler operations.
- Strong practical electrical engineering knowledge of LV power generation and distribution systems
- Working knowledge of ENA compliance, including G59/G99 and other DNO compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of software-based control systems, specifically ComAp control panels.
- Strong Project Management skills and experience in managing sub-contractors
- Excellent customer interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated and trustworthy to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Able to work in a small, independent, highly networked energy generation company.
- Able to multi-task across management and operational activities.
- Able to assess, recommend, and implement changes to operational and management processes to improve the functioning of the Operations areas
- Happy with high mileage driving and working away from home
- Ability to think on your feet and function effectively in a fast-moving environment
To locate an experienced CHP Commisioning Engineer with knowledge of ComAp control panels, specifically experience in programming ComAp panels from blank factory settings. We needed to identify Electrical Engineers who could support the implementation of business processes and procedures as the company expanded.
This individual needed to be at the right stage in their career, ready to embrace a senior position in a growing business, yet still be hands-on and personally responsible for carrying out the Commissioning activities on each project.
The opportunity involved nationwide travel, so a flexible and mature attitude was required to manage their time and the project workload. The candidate would be delivering turnkey projects, including CHP, Solar, Battery, and EV technologies.
We were tasked with mapping the market for an individual who could combine their Project Management skills and experience of managing sub-contractors with their personal commissioning capabilities.
They would require the ability to think on their feet and function effectively in a fast-moving environment.
Renew Consultancy responded by appointing our expert research team to map the market and identify Commissioning Engineers, Test Engineers, Applications Engineers, Operations Engineers, and Service Managers.
We searched across the agreed geographical location for candidates with specific experience executing complex projects using ComAp for Combined Heat and Power or Diesel Generator Commissioning activities.
We created a list of target companies and brought together a targeted list of potential candidates for the Client.
Identifying the candidate
Renew Consultancy’s rigorous search methodology identified a total of 147 potential candidates across the Combined Heat and Power industry. Our tried and tested screening process resulted in a shortlist of 5 candidates. Together, we agreed on four candidates, and they proceeded to interview.
The successful candidate is a hands-on leader who possesses a robust background in both electrical and mechanical power generation across CHP and Diesel Generator systems, along with some Solar exposure, demonstrated throughout his career.
They have a proven track record in commissioning, troubleshooting, and fault finding, along with a commitment to safety and exceptional customer service, while working with subcontractors to ensure DNO compliance.
The incumbent can confidently program control panels from blank settings and has hands-on knowledge of commissioning ComAp screens and back-boxes on reciprocating gas engines.
Additionally, they have worked on a large utility project to integrate Diane XT on Jenbacher gas engines to ComAp for communication access.
This Senior Commissioning Engineer has set up remote communications for 4G, 5G, or Starkink System on sites in order to unify networking systems.
About Renew Consultancy
Renew Consultancy is recognized as a key partner for executive hiring for owners/operators, service providers, and specialists in on-site Energy Generation.
Through behavioural and technical assessment, we identify professionals for career-defining opportunities by analyzing their attributes and potential through a situational lens.
With significant experience across the Power Generation industry, our team brings expertise in executive search, market intelligence, and career advisory services.